Pretending.

I learned a song called "Miss Polly Had a Dolly" way back when I was eighteen years old and was taking my Early Childhood Education classes. It's been a long time since I was eighteen, but this little song has just stuck with me.  In fact I'm worried I will still be singing Miss Polly Had a Dolly when I am in a rocking chair gazing out the window of my long term care home.

The great part about this little song is that it is perfect for toddlers who are just beginning pretend play.  They seem to love to act it out and want do it over and over again.  Most of them have had a Doctor experience and they know about being sick and needing medicine, so they connect with the words.

One day I was with a little girl who wanted the Doctor song.  So I started to sing and she looked around and found some props that would work for her as she acted out the song.  I loved her imagination and creativity!


Miss Polly had a Dolly who was sick, sick, sick


So she called for the Doctor to come quick, quick, quick

The Doctor came with his bag and his hat 
And he knocked on the door with a rat tat tat


The zipper on his bag was a little tricky.
He looked at the dolly and he shook his head
And he said Miss Polly put her straight to bed


Taking the dolly's temperature.  Yes, it's a felted carrot that she is using for the thermometer.


He wrote on a paper for a pill, pill, pill
I'll be back in the morning with my bill, bill, bill.

After opening the medicine bag she used it for the Doctors hat.
She's giving her dolly some medicine.  Then she tried a different kind of medicine.


Mmmm yum, cupcakes are great medicine!


"My dolly is feeling better now".


Yes, her baby is feeling so much better that she is waiting at the bus stop with her coffee! 

Would you like to hear the tune for this little song?  

Pleas excuse the cartoon......

******************************************
Some say an apple a day keeps the doctor away, I say, spend a little time with a small child.  It does wonders.






No comments