Playing to Win.

We spent the week-end at the ball field.  Our son's team was supposed to have travelled to another city but they still had snow on the field so the opposing team came here instead.  Nice for us as we enjoy watching the live action.

They played six games altogether, and guess what?  They won all six games!!  Yippee!! It's always fun to win that's for sure.     

For my son, winning is still kind of a novelty.  He grew up in a small town where it was sometimes challenging to have enough kids to make up a team.  So he had a lot of experience at losing ball games.  He said to me once when he was quite young, that he didn't care if he won or lost, he just wanted to play ball.  And I reassured him that while it is awesome to win and we should play to win, if we learn to lose well, we have learned a life lesson that builds our character.

Losing well is something to be proud of, in my opinion.


Hanging out in the dug out, his home away from home these days.


Playing to win.  


Safely sliding into second base.

I am pretty proud of this kid.  I have watched him develop into quite a remarkable athlete over the years.  I never dreamed he would be playing University baseball, but here he is.  What I like best of all though, is that his character has matured and he is a nice person, a really nice person.

Maybe all that losing paid off in the long run.








2 comments:

  1. Aaaw..that was such a great post. You are turning into quite the writer. Great job on the 'kid' by the way and the other two as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank-you, my friend, I appreciate the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete